D3 is a great tool to experiment with visuals and data. D3 allows you to create an uncanny variety of visuals. We can find everything from simple bar charts to interactive maps. The ability to create almost anything with D3 comes at a price; we must think about our charts at a more abstract level and learn how to bind data elements with elements in our page. This association between properties of our data items and visual attributes of the elements in our chart will allow us to create complex charts and visualizations.
This books covers reusable charts using external data sources, thereby creating user interface elements and interactive maps with D3.
Pablo Navarro Castillo
What you will learn
- Chapter 1, Data Visualization, provides you with examples of interesting visualization projects and references that help us learn more about data visualization.
- Chapter 2, Reusable Charts, focuses on how to create configurable charts that can be used in several projects
- Chapter 3, Creating Visualizations without SVG, discusses the current state of SVG support in the browser market and provides some strategies to create visualizations that work in browsers that don’t have SVG support
- Chapter 4, Creating a Color Picker with D3, introduces concepts that allow us to create user interaction elements and controls.
- Chapter 5, Creating User Interface Elements, discusses how to use event listeners to highlight elements in a chart.
- Chapter 6, Interaction between Charts, discusses how to use Backbone to create structured web applications, separating data from its visual representation, and how to integrate D3 charts in this architecture.
- Chapter 7, Creating a Charting Package, introduces the development workflow to create a charting package using D3.
- Chapter 8, Data-driven Applications, provides us with an example of a web application and introduces tools to deploy visualization projects.
- Chapter 9, Creating a Dashboard, introduces concepts and best practices to create dashboards.
- Chapter 10, Creating Maps, discusses how to create vector maps using the geographic functions of D3.
- Chapter 11, Creating Advanced Maps, introduces some geographic projections and discusses how to configure projections to center and scale maps at specific locations.
- Chapter 12, Creating a Real-time Application, introduces the concepts and tools that are used to create real-time applications.